Photobucket Photobucket

January 3, 2011

OUR COOKIE NATION

The other day as I was waiting in my Doctors reception room I picked up a copy of the December 2010 issue of Readers Digest.  In there I found a fun list for the favorite cookie of each of our 50 states along with The District of Columbia (according to the list compiled by allrecipes.com, which they created based on the number of page views for each recipe by state).
I want to try and make ALL 50 COOKIES during the year of 2011 & 2012, and post each recipe and my review as I do this...A huge undertaking, and I'm not entirely sure I can accomplish this, but it's worth a try.
Here is the list alphabetically...

Arkansas:  Easy Lemon Cookies
California:  Persimmon Cookies
Connecticut:  Italian Cookies
Delaware:  Pizzelles III
District of Columbia:  Rugelach 2
Georgia:  Fruitcake Cookies
Indiana:  No-Bake Cookies
Louisiana:  Yummy Pecan Pralines
Massachusetts:  Italian Anisette Cookies
Michigan:  Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti
Minnesota:  Spritz Cookies IV
Mississippi:  Russian Tea Cakes
Missouri:  Gooey Butter Cookies
Montana:  Marbled Almond Roca (cookie bars)
Nebraska:  Cherry Mash Bars
New Hampshire:  Molasses Cookies
New Jersey:  Pignoli Cookies
New Mexico:  Biscochitos I
New York:  Ribbon Cookies
North Carolina:  Easy and Fun Peanut-Butter Balls
North Dakota:  Rosettes
Ohio:  Buckeye Cookies III
Oklahoma:  Cowboy Cookie Mix in a Jar
Oregon:  Marbled Almond Roca
Pennsylvania:  Pizzelles III
Rhode Island:  Prune-and-Raisin-Filled Cookies
South Carolina:  Pecan Chewies
South Dakota:  Seven-Layer Bars
Tennessee:  Peanut Blossoms
Vermont:  Ultimate Maple Snickerdoodles
Virginia:  Saltine Toffee Cookies
Washington:  Marbled Almond Roca
West Virginia:  Pecan Sandies
Wisconsin:  Chocolate Toffee Crunchies
Wyoming:  Candy Cane Cookies

This is a huge list! However I noticed that several states had the same cookie, and interestingly enough they are generally located by each other. Many of the Rocky Mountain States all chose a version of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies (my personal favorite), and since I'm from Utah, I'm very happy!

Original article source, and links to recipes

3 comments:

Mrs. Tuna said...

Arizona is pumpkin chocolate chip, that sounds disgusting.

WheelchairDecor said...

Obviously, Utah didn't ask me, cause pumpkin cookies are not on my list! LOL

New follower, hope you can stop by for a visit!
http://wheelchairdecor.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Becky J

Lisa said...

How interesting! I'm a little shocked that IL is Cream Cheese Kolacky. I've never had one before!