Photobucket Photobucket

January 12, 2011

Alabama- Grandma's Old Fashioned Tea Cake's

This is the 1st recipe in my series on  "Our Cookie Nation".
I gotta say I am not a big fan :( of this cookie...
The cookies are dry and rather plain, and definitely need a frosting or some other finish.  I did like the hint of nutmeg in the cookie, and if I were to make these again I would increase the amount slightly, and maybe sprinkle nutmeg over the cookie after I had glazed or frosted it.
Grade:  C-

GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES
1 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk (this is an ingredient I added because the dough was so dry and crumbly)


In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients together, and stir into the creamed butter mixture. Knead dough a few times on a floured surface until smooth. Cover and place in the fridge until firm.
Preheat the oven to 325 degree's.
On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies on baking sheets.
I don't have a cookie cutter, so I improvised.-lol


Bake 8-10 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.





Note: My 22 year old son did like these cookies, he thought they were delicious with a can of Coke ;)



No comments: