Photobucket Photobucket

February 27, 2011

COLORADO-Ultimate High Altitude Chocolate Chip Cookies

Another recipe from "Our Cookie Nation" installments...

1 c. butter or margarine 
(I never use margarine-the water content always makes the cookies spread more)
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.  Mix in eggs one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla (although the instructions say to stir these ingredients together, but I used my hand mixer).
In a separate bowl combine the flour salt and soda, then add to the butter mixture just until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips (I used an entire 12 oz. package of chocolate chips...you can never have too many of those!).  Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 2" apart.
Bake 12-15 minutes until edges begin to turn golden.  Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes (I usually leave them about 5 min.) on the baking sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes approximately 48 cookies.

Note:  I also live in a high altitude state, so I was thrilled to find a cookie recipe that had been adapted for our neck of the woods.  However I did some research and found out that of course you can make this cookie no matter where you live, just omit the additional 2 Tbsp. of flour!
We loved this cookie!



10 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

These look perfect! You are right about the margarine; the only margarine I use for baking is I Can't Believe It's Not Butter...it has the lowest amount of water in it. When I use this, I use 1/2 ICBINB and 1/2 shortening.

Lisa said...

Looks like your recipe works like a charm. Your cookies turned out fantastic. I hope you'll stop by and link up to Sweets for a Saturday. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't turn out at all. They are flat and look like pancakes. Also they are way too sweet. What am I doing wrong. I am at 7350 ft in Mexico City.

Unknown said...

I''m not exactly sure what happened to your cookies, but here are a couple of tips that might help...
be sure to use real butter, that helps keep the cookie from spreading too much and becoming flat.
You might also want to chill the dough for about 30 minutes before baking.
As far as the sweetness goes, I know that Mexico refines their sugar differently than the US, so that may be your problem, and you could cut back a bit on the quantity of sugar you use.
Try these cookies again, because they really are good, I hope they turn out better for you!
Amber

Unknown said...

My daughter made these yesterday and shared with us. Wonderfully soft and sweet. We live in Colo Spgs @ 6200 ft. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

This is great! I live in castle rock colorado at 6300 ft. These are probably the best choc chip cookies I have made in my life at any elevation- so delicious! They are chewy and not crispy, just how we like cookies, but I think next time I will add a touch more flour since they did flatten a little apon cooling. Thank you!!

Tammy said...

I made these and almost cried. They are awesome. I live in Centennial, Colorado and I have been trying to get the recipe right for years. Thank You so much! My family loved them!

Jahida Esperanza said...

I made these tonight in Palmer Lake, CO. It was way too much flour for me. It's a good starting point to tweak to my specific oven and altitude, however, so thank you.

bj said...

What type of cookie sheet do you use? Air bake? Nonstick? Plain aluminum?

Thanks for your help!

Unknown said...

I use a standard aluminum cookie sheet.