Photobucket Photobucket

January 2, 2013

CALIFORNIA - Persimmon Cookies

I'm still working on my Cookie Nation Series.  This has been a much more challenging project to complete than I had expected, but I like a challenge!
The State of California viewed/downloaded the recipe for these cookies the most during the 2010 year (see, I told you I have been working on this project a while).

It's a wonderful cookie.  I had NO experience with Persimmons before I began working with this recipe, so I had to do some research online to find out how to use this fruit, and what it even looks like (check below the recipe for a few tips)!
I tried to make these cookies back in June, but after searching my local stores for the fruit without luck, I asked my local produce guy about them.  He told me that we (the state of Utah), only have these small fruits during the months of November, December, and sometimes January!  So I put this recipe aside and went on to other things.
We all like this cookie a lot. We liked it so much that I'm putting my version of this cookie in a recipe book I'm compiling (I omit the nuts and use the golden raisins instead of the regular black ones).


PERSIMMON COOKIES
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. raisins
(I used golden raisins)
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
1 c. Persimmon  pulp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine the flour mix and creamed shortening together.  Stir in  the raisins, the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and the nuts. Mix well.  Stir in the Persimmon pulp and incorporate it all together.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake 12 - 15 minutes until just the edges are turning a slight golden brown.  Cool on wire racks.



Here is a little information I found when I worked with this new (to me) fruit.  I must say, I love their flavor.  The fruit looks a little strange, they remind me of half ripened tomatoes. I purchased 4, but I ended up with 2 that were slightly under ripened, so next time I will buy a couple of extra just in case. Ripe ones are soft to the touch, again similar to a tomato.
Simply use a spoon to scoop out the fruit and discard the skins. I wish I had taken a couple of pictures of the ones that were ripe clear through, the light orange "core" that shows in these pics was almost invisible.

,  Be sure to try these!

Recipe source: Persimmon Cookies


Pin It

1 comment:

B said...

Oh my Grandma had a persimmon tree, and every year she would make persimmon cookies :). I didn't even know you could get them in Utah! Just so you know, to a Californian the walnuts are never optional... it's not a persimmon cookie if it doesn't have the nuts!!! ;)