Photobucket Photobucket

January 22, 2012

30 Minute Rolls

I'm sure I've mentioned my obsession with Pinterest.  Its' so addicting!  I love the inspiration I find, the awesome styles, designs, the great craft tutorials, hilarious cartoons and quips, and of course the RECIPES!
I have 4 Boards relating to foods, FABULOUS FOODS with 155 items, CROCK POT CRAZY with 109 recipes, DESSERTS, SWEETS, & TREATS with 156 items, and I even have a board that contains recipes via AUNT PEGS RECIPE BLOG that have been chosen and pinned by others (57 items)!
I am so excited to try all the fun new things I find, that sometimes I'm not sure where to start! 
A couple of days ago the weather here in Salt Lake City was dreary, with rain, & snow, and generally yucky.  Perfect day for soup and home made bread, right? RIGHT!
I have a favorite soup recipe that I always turn to, my Creamy Tomato Soup, but making wonderful bread is beyond me (have you seen my posts on making bread (Post #1 and Post #2)? Gaaaahhhhhh!
So, I jumped onto Pinterest, and found a recipe for 30 MINUTE ROLLS. Yep 30 minutes...
What the hay,  I will give those a try...



30 MINUTE ROLLS

1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. warm water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast 
1/4 c. sugar 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water, oil, yeast and sugar; let rest for 5-10 minutes or until frothy and bubbly. 
With a dough hook, mix in salt, egg and 2 cups of flour until combined. Add remaining remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time.  If the dough is sticky, that's OK. Spray your hands with cooking spray (this was a great tip), and shape the dough into 12 balls.
Place the balls on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or lightly coated with non-stick spray, and let rest for 10 minutes.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Brush the tops with butter.


What do you think? 

I doubled this recipe because 12 rolls are just not enough for us, we love bread too much. 
This was an easy recipe to follow, but I will make a couple of changes the next time I make them...When doubling this recipe, I will use less flour than the 7 cups it should take, and use maybe 6 1/4 c. and then see how the consistency is.  My dough was not as sticky as I think it should have been.
I will place the rolls much closer together on my pans, I like them to rise and grow together. As you can see I have 20 on the pan, but I will increase it to 24. 
I used Canola oil, but I think the next time I will use Vegetable oil.  I got a slight taste of the Canola in the roll.
Here are the things I did change as I worked...
I allowed my rolls to sit for 20 minutes before placing them in the oven, and I think that was a good plan. They rose a little higher, and I think gave the rolls a little more air.  The baking time for my rolls was 15 minutes. And my rolls took 45 minutes-LOL!
These rolls are dense and a little sweet, but I really liked that about them.  My family said the same thing. We liked these rolls, but I need to work on perfecting them for us...and hey, there edible, which for me was a big accomplishment!

Recipe Source:  SIX SISTER'S STUFF BLOG

Pin It

2 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I've always wondered how "thirty minute rolls" turned out and thanks for this post! I believe one reason this recipe works is that it has double the amount of yeast that a tradition dinner roll recipe has. I like your idea of putting the rolls more together...it will help the rolls rise "up" instead of out. If your dough is too sticky, you can always run your hands under some cool water; shake off excess, and shape the rolls. Great post!

Sherylyn said...

I just looked through the first page of your blog and my mouth is watering! I can't wait to try some of these recipes out myself! I've never made my own rolls because I don't have the patience but I think I can find 30 minutes to whip these up. Thank you!

http://thehomemakingfashionista.blogspot.com/