Photobucket Photobucket

July 19, 2010

*Oooey* Gooey* Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

These cookies date back to my childhood (or maybe even further back), and they take me back to family reunions, staying at my cousins house, Christmas time treats, and visiting my Aunt Leona.
These cookies are sooooo good!

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

1/2 c. Baking Cocoa
1 3/4 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 c. Shortening (of course I use butter flavored)
1 c. Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 c. Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 c. Walnuts, chopped (optional)
14-16 large Marshmallows, sliced in half
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the shortening, sugar and egg. 
Add milk. 
Combine the first 4 ingredients together, then stir into the shortening mixture. 
Add vanilla and nuts.


 (Don't panic if the shortening/milk    mix looks curdled, it's ok!)









 
Drop by teaspoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper (or grease the sheets if you don't have the paper on hand).
Bake for 9 minutes. 

Remove from the oven, top each cookie with one of the marshmallow halves, 
and return to the oven for 3 minutes.


 Cool on the cookie sheet for approx. 5 minutes.
 Remove to a cooling rack.  Frost the cookies while still warm.

(At this point in the cookie baking process my Aunt Leona would always prepare her own delicious chocolate frosting, but I have to admit that I take a quick short cut...)

FROSTING
1 container prepared Chocolate Frosting
1/4 c. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

In a medium bowl combine the frosting, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Mix well and spread onto the cookies.

~This was a great tip I got from the Food Networks Sandra Lee.  It saves time, and tastes homemade.
  I love those kinds of tips!~

 DON'T THESE PICTURES MAKE YOU DROOL JUST A LITTLE?
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did while making them...I think I have 3 left!

(We have linked this post to:)



13 comments:

Endy Daniel said...

O yeah they make me drool,specially that 1st picture,lol. What's the meaning of shortening? the others ingredients are easy to get but they dont sell marshmallow here :( do u have idea if i can change it to another ingredient?

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I have got to make these for my fam. They would love them!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

I LOVE chocolate, so these cookies sound fabulous!

Melinda said...

I love recipes with a history! I'm a confirmed chocoholic and I can't wait to try these!

Its A Blog Party said...

Yum!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

Angela said...

These look delicious.

Angela - Thrifty Homemaker

Unknown said...

Found you on Paisley Passions blog hop, and am now following you!

I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Chrystal
www.adornonashoestring.com

Lolly Jane said...

oh.my.gosh. these look DIVINE!! just printed the recipe and am so excited to make them!! TFS!

:)kelli & kristi
{new follower from paisley passions!}

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Okay, um, YUM!!! Thanks for sharing your “creative mojo” with me on Thrilling Thursday. I hope you will be back again soon :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

L Simonson said...

I am going to feature this on Thrilling Thursday 9/30. Feel free to pop over and grab an "I Thrilled" featured button off my sidebar. I hope to see you at Thrilling Thursday again this week!

~Lori @ Paisley Passions

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello friend...

Welcome to the Sunday Favorite party! I'm so happy that you could join in with the fun! Wow...what a great post to revisit! Your "Oooey...Goooey...Chocolate Cookies" look soooo delicious!!! Mmmm...heavenly! Hehe! I would love to give your recipe a try...thanks so much for sharing it with us for Sunday Favorites! This really is such a treat!!!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Crafts a la Mode said...

Oh, these look marvelous. Have to try them. Thanks for sharing. Linda

easy recipes teacher said...

These certainly look like an old-time gem. I would try making them with a hard chocolate shell over the marshmallows - that would make them more kid friendly, or to be more precise, clean-up friendly. :) And for lazy days, maybe just sandwich the marshmallow between 2 cookies...